In this write-up, I would talk about:
- What is intermittent fasting?
- What are the methods for this?
- What are its effects on body?
- What are its safety measures?
- What are its side effects?
Intermittent fasting is one of the most popular health trends around the world. People are using intermittent fasting for weight loss, for improving their healthy lifestyles. It has many positive effects on your body. It helps you to live long.
What is intermittent fasting?
Intermittent Fasting is the pattern of eating and drinking those cycles between different periods. It does not give much importance to, which type of food you should eat, rather tells, when you should eat or drink. Intermittent fasting is not a diet but an eating or drinking pattern. It involves 16 hours or 24 hours of fasting in twice a week. It is much better to eat after some regular intervals rather than eating 24 hours. Fasting also practiced for spiritual and religious purposes. Intermittent fasting is very common in health and fitness communities.
What are the methods for Intermittent Fasting?
Some most common methods for intermittent fasting are following:
- The 16/8 Method (Lean gains Protocol): It involves restriction of eating or drinking period to 8 hours, such as 2-10. After that you have to fast for 16 hours in between.
- Eat-Stop-Eat: This type of method involves fasting for 24 hours. This can be done twice in a week.
- The 5:2 Diet: In this type of method, you have to consume or intake 500-600 calories on two non-consecutive days. On other 5 days, you have to eat normally.
These methods can be helpful to you in your weight loss plan.
What are the effects of Intermittent fasting on your body?
Intermittent fasting causes various effects on your body’s cells and hormones.
- Effects Human Growth Hormone: By intermittent fasting, growth hormone increases by 5-times. By increasing this hormone, your body loses weight.
- Effects Insulin Level: Intermittent fasting helps in decreasing the level of insulin.
- Increase Cellular-Repair: Due to fasting, your cells start repairing by eating or engulfing old cells (Autophagy).
- Form new Gene Expression: Due to fasting, your gene patterns start changing and provide help in your longevity.
- Heart Health: Fasting prevents you from Cholesterol, Blood-sugar and insulin resistance. It removes inflammation and other heart diseases.
- Cancer Prevention: Fasting surely can prevent you from cancer by blocking the growth of new tumours.
- Brain Health: Increase brain-functioning, grow new nerve cells. Increases secretion of brain hormone.
- Weight loss: Helps in weight loss by regular intervals of eating patterns.
What are safety measures and side-effects of intermittent fasting?
Intermittent fasting cause hunger sometimes and body becomes weak. Due to this, you start feeling dizzy and weak. It may take some time to get habitual to new eating plan. If you are under medical conditions, then you should consult your doctor. This consultation is very important if you:
- Have Diabetes
- Are Pregnant
- Do Breast-feeding
- Are Under-Weight
- Women with amenorrhea
- Eating Disorders
- Blood Pressure